Monday, July 27, 2009

I Just Got A New Idea


Hi Everyone,
So here's the deal. Over the weekend, I saw the old movie Bob Roberts. The thing was written, directed by, and starring Tim Robbins. It's about some sleazy extreme-right-wing folk singer who has decided to run for the US Senate in Pennsylvania. Interestingly, neither the Republican nor the Democratic party is ever mentioned in the movie. It is set up as a faux-documentary, a mockumentary, like Best In Show, or Waiting For Guffman, only this is sort of sinister, rather than comical. In it, Roberts becomes this cult figure, whom people use to attack various elements of society, including drug users, non-christians, antiwar protesters, all the favorite targets of the culture war politicians. For a "mockumentary," it is stunningly close to real life.


So here's the idea I got when I watched it. Why doesn't someone, hell, why can't I, write a story about the anti-Bob Roberts figure. This would be a person who runs for the Senate who isn't motivated by hatred and suspicion and a thirst for power, but by the opposite. A desire for unity, peace, and a good higher than themselves. This person would exhibit a high degree of moral character, would be effective in challenging powerful corporate interests, and, importantly, giving people hope and unity, rather than fear and division. This would be the story of a person who, instead of trying to create an image of themselves as an ethical, moral person, would put their money where everyone's mouth is.


This is just an idea I had. I've had lots of ideas for stories over the years. Some have had some real potential, in my view, others have just sucked. Obviously, none have ever gained much traction. This is the first one I've ever disclosed to a wide audience of people. I've got sort of a creative flair, as this blog shows, and I've also got a passion for political and social justice. Some of my ideas have revolved around it. Now that I've put this one out there for you, some of you may help give this idea some steam. Some of you may even beat me to the punch in producing it. My hope with this idea is to inspire someone out there to act for peace, justice, and unity. Instead of warning, as was the intention of Bob Roberts, my intention here is to inspire.


One other movie I'd like to tell you about is something more recent, called Can Mr. Smith Get To Washington Anymore? Unlike Bob Roberts, it is an actual documentary. It documents the story of a man named Jeff Smith, who ran for the US Senate seat in Missouri in the 2004 general election. His is the Mr. Smith type story. He ran against a big political dynasty there, and made a significant impact on the Senate race there. It's a very worthwhile movie, and it really happened. So netflix it, or however you can find it, it's well worth your while to check it out. Anyway, this isn't the last you'll hear of my idea. I guarantee you that.


This is the Daily Reeder, Over&out.

1 comment:

  1. You go, D.R!
    I think this idea has lots of potential. I think if you made him very idealistic and even naive, his honesty could get him into trouble but ultimately win the day. That could be very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete