Friday, December 19, 2008

To one&all,

According to the news, Theoneste Bagosora, the military commander largely responsible for the Rwandan genocide of 1994, was found guilty by an international criminal tribunal for genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity. I don't know very much about this event, being 4 years old at the time. Most of my knowledge of the event comes from watching Hotel Rwanda a while back. Plus, in my geography class, we briefly covered this while studying sub saharan Africa.

Anyway, what I do know is that there had been a civil war going on between the Hutus and Tutsis, the two ethnic groups pitted against each other in the region. Hatred against tutsis was being built up by various forces, with a militia forming and weapons such as grenades being imported, and the radio being used to disseminate hatred of any tutsi.

The situation worsened until in April of 1994, all hell broke loose. The president of Rwanda was killed, the one group blamed the other, and then the genocide began. By the end of the genocide, about 800,000 people had been killed, probably more.

Anyway, this Bagosora was found responsible for the murder if the prime minster, several Belgian peacekeepers who had been protecting the prime minister, the murder of key opposition leaders, and the orchestration of the genocide in Rwanda. For his actions, the tribunal sentenced Bagosora to life in prison.

Anyway, I thought I would bring this to your attention. If you have any thoughts, feelings about this yuo wanna share, please do. This time around, my research was hasty, s I am preparing for a holiday trip tomorrow. I will be going to visit some of my relatives in Denver, so maybe I will do some posts from "out in the field". So, see ya!

This is the daily reeder, over&out.

No comments:

Post a Comment