Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Daily Reeder's Odyssey

To one&all,

Hello from Golden, Colorado. First off, is that how you spell odyssey? Well, however you spell it, that's what I'm up to. When we last met, I was about to leave on a journey to Denver, then a few weeks later, trek across the country to Washington to see change come to Washington. Well, on Saturday, my affiliate Obamathon man and I set out.

We saw snow on the ground as far south as Victorville. Throughout the desert in California and Nevada, snow was on the ground everywhere. Even in Las Vegas (or Lost Wages, depending on how you look at it), snow was on the roofs of some of the buildings. I suppose anything is possible now.

Later, as the sun dropped below the horizon, we stopped in the small town of Reichfield, Utah, for the night. One thing worth noting on this blog is one of those little things that happen that make up so much of life. On sunday, we woke up in a hotel in the middle of town. Rather than go to a fast food joint, which many could be found off of nearby Interstate 70, we opted to break our hunger at a place called the little wonder, a place, literally right on main street.

The restaurant was everything you'd expect in a small town, if you're a big city slicker like me. Everyone there knew each other, most of them cheerfully calling each other by their names. Then there was the waitress we got.

An "associate" of mine considered revealing my fellow blogger's and my true destination to her: the inauguration on January 20. I had some reservations about this. I rarely talk about anything political with anyone outside my family, except you, whoever's reading this. Add to that the fact that the fact that Utah is about as red as states come (62% for McCain), and this is main street. So in a small town in rural Utah, you can see why I had some doubts about revealing who I supported for president this time around.

However, my familial associate was undeterred. He told the woman that the Obamathon man and I would be going to the inauguration of Obama as the 44th president of the US. To my surprise, she responded enthusiastically that we didn't know how big this truly was, which I am barely old enough to have some understanding of these things. She told us that she "supported him" when he was running. I don't know exactly what that meant, but I understood it as a positive.

Anyway, I bring this up because I was pleasantly surprised and excited. I realize, of course, that there are many people out there who disappprove of Obama or his policy. But in my few years I have seen some amazing things. I am confident that if this man can earn the support of a woman who is truly main street, change may be on its way come January 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment