Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sunday's Activities

Hi Everyone,

Well, as you're no doubt aware, I've gotten behind on this blog. So, considering all the things I've done, I'm gonna have to update you in parts. So here's what I did sunday.

We got back on the road, I-70, and headed east through Missouri. By midday, my affiliate blogger and I arrived in Columbia, home of the University of Missouri (GO TIGERS!). My affiliate had someone in mind here he wanted to talk to. The person he wished to interview worked at a movie theater in the center of town.

They people there described to us what life was like in Columbia and Missouri in general. I don't get this very often, being a native of the Western Sun Belt (LA area). They described it as a "Southern State", which is an interesting perspective, given that Missouri borders Kentucky and Tennessee.

They said that the politics of the region vary. In Columbia and St. Louis, things looked pretty progressive, but they said that places like Jefferson City were very right-wing. In this past year, though, the state was pretty evenly split down the middle. A few days after the election, Missouri went for John Mc Cain, but just barely.

They even talked about Proposition 8 that stirred up lots of emotions back home. They told us that California sets kind of a norm for the rest of the country. It was nice to them say this, since I've grown wary of people dumping on my home state.

Pressing on, we arrived in St. Louis, and stayed in a motel on the outskirts for the night. Fortunately enough, the St. Louis area has a modern train system, and we took that into downtown. We saw where the famous Gateway Arch is, and strode across the Mississippi into Illinois. Then it was time to head back to the hotel for the night, because we had someone else we had to talk to in the morning. So until the next update,

This is the Daily Reeder, Over&out.

No comments:

Post a Comment