Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Quest of Vivian O. Reed (1924-2010)





Hi Everyone,

Well, I gave you all my word that I would dedicate an entire post to my Grandmother who passed away last week. I am here now to follow through on that. The picture above is one I found of her ("Grammy," her grandchildren called her) with me when I had just been born. This picture was taken 20 years ago, come next month. That is her holding me as a baby.
I use this because I cannot stress enough how important family was to her.

Vivian Odh was born on March 30, 1924, in Winnetka, Illinois. She was raised in Evanston, Illinois, with her parents, and her younger sister, Audrey Pearl. Vivian (called "Vivie" by those who knew her) attended Northwestern University, and graduated within days of being married to Thomas Reed, my grandfather. They were married in June of 1947. They lived in Illinois, Texas, Minnesota, Indiana, New York State and Massachusetts.

She raised four children, my aunt, Katherine, my father, Phil, and my uncles, Peter and Kevin. Any of them will tell you that growing up with her was an extraordinary experience. As a devout Christian scientist, she regularly attended church and has an extraordinary base of faith. She loved working with people, particularly with children, and spent many years of her life as a teacher, both in regular school and sunday school. She was patient in dealing with people, even with me back when I was not as easy to talk to. She called us and sent us letters regularly.

There isn't much this post can do to pay justice to the woman that was Vivian Reed. She had a strong, indomitable spirit. Even during the last few weeks, she remained surrounded by relatives who loved her deeply. I was not able to visit her in that time. The nurses who visited her said several times that she would be gone within a day or two. Yet several times, she remained. It was as if she was waiting for someone. My father spent the last three weeks with her, and transcribed a few things she said.

Thinking of a favorite memory of her is difficult now. There are many memories I have of her fondly describing her rich experience of life to me. I didn't always understand, or appreciate her wisdom. Sometimes I wouldn't listen because I wanted to do my own thing. Later, I came to appreciate listening to Grammy's insights. I also enjoyed listening to her tell stories about my dad when he was growing up. She also told stories about me, so I never got too judgemental.

Sometimes Grammy may have seemed aloof or in her own world, but those who knew her knew that this was not the case. She cared not only for her family, but her friends, and her neighbors. Anyone who knew her for a length of time knew how lucky they were to have Vivian O. Reed in their life. I am just beginning to appreciate now just how lucky I was in knowing her.

My sincerest thanks go out to her, and also to my grandfather, Thomas, to whom she was married for 62 years. He is a lucky man. I wish the best for him, for Vivian's family, her children, her grandchildren, including me, and her friends in Massachusetts, back in Colorado, and elsewhere. I will give thanks for the gift of her life, and will celebrate the legacy of Vivian O. Reed.

I don't know how much more I can say that will pay adequate tribute to my grandmother. I will just say that her life here was a gift to all who were touched by it. Her love, her light, will always shine. I'll have more up soon. I apologize for the lateness of this post. It has taken a week to gather up the appropriate thoughts and feelings for this post. See ya soon.

This is the Daily Reeder, Over&out.

No comments:

Post a Comment